The title tag of a website – once you start looking at the topic of search engine optimization (SEO), this term will inevitably get in the way. That’s a good thing because together with the meta description, it is the first thing that catches the searcher’s eye in the Google results and its relevance for your ranking is accordingly high. More than one reason to recognize this potential and to deal extensively with this topic.
In this tutorial, we will show you how to optimally design the SEO title, how to set yourself apart from your competitors in the search results and how to attract more visitors to your site.
The title – what exactly is it?
The page title is not visible to the visitor on the page itself, but it is displayed as a “headline” in the source code as well as in the browser tab and in the search results of a search engine.
In order to deliver an optimal search result for your website, you should define it for each individual page. In combination with the meta description, which defines the short description below, potential visitors must see at a glance whether the page is relevant to their request and whether it is worth clicking on it. You should keep this in mind when creating it.
The perfect SEO title
Now you probably want to know how exactly you optimize your title. We have summarized the most important tips for your perfect SEO-optimized title here:
- Uniqueness: On the one hand, it must be unique and individual, that is, that it must be different for each individual page of your homepage and that the meaning fits accordingly.
- Length: You also have to pay attention to the length. It should not contain more than 60 to 70 characters. Otherwise, the title will only be partially displayed and important information at the end may be lost. Therefore, make sure to keep it as short as possible, but still accurately represent the most important content of the respective page.
- Keywords: Another tip that you should keep in mind when creating your title is that the keywords must appear and the most important keyword must come first.
- Call-to-Action: Since you naturally want to get as many people as possible to click on your page, you should also include a call-to-action element that can significantly increase the click rate.
- Company name: You should make sure to include it in the title, especially with well-known company or brand names, but also with previously unknown ones. In this way, you increase the recognition value of your company, and visitors can see directly whose page they are on. In the case of a well-known company name with positive associations, this can also encourage you to click directly. The company name is ideally appended to the end of the title with a hyphen or pipe.
Best Practice Example: How To Do It Right
If a company deals with the title tags, this is immediately noticed positively. Here you can see an example from Moz, who did everything right and integrated important factors.
In this title, you can discover everything that is important at a glance and the word “Keywords” arouses your curiosity about keywords guide, like to view directly.
How not to do it
If you are careless when using the title and ignore it, this will soon be avenged with a lower ranking. A mere string of keywords, the same title tag for several pages or a boring title that does not encourage click can contribute to this. A lot of repetitions of words, spelling mistakes or the exclusive use of capital letters also have a negative effect.
You can see a bad example of a title tag here. By exceeding the number of characters, the title and the source code are cut off, and you cannot tell at first glance which company is behind the page. In addition, the meta description does not provide much information about the content of the homepage. There is, therefore, no incentive for the user to click on it.
Conclusion – what does this mean for the creation of my website?
We hope we were able to give you a little insight into the world of titles and what it means for your work in search engine optimization. The optimal title tag fits perfectly with the whole text and contains relevant keywords that the user has entered into the search engine and, in the best case, directs them to your page.
With a little practice, you will soon no longer find it difficult to find the right title. For many content management systems, some plugins can help you, for example, YoastSEO for WordPress. For professional support, you can always contact our agency, then the ranking and traffic of your website will soon go up.