Offpage Search Engine Optimization is the second significant SEO section.
In contrast to on-page search engine optimization, which included a lot of points, off-page SEO is just about one thing. And these are backlinks.
But there is a lot to keep in mind, and that’s why this checklist gets a bit more extensive.
Offpage SEO checklist
Offpage search engine optimization is mostly about building backlinks.
Links from other websites to their own are still a very, very important ranking criterion for Google.
But in the past, a lot has been manipulated, and Google now looks very carefully. That’s why there are a lot of things to keep in mind.
In addition to the simple backlink structure, there are, of course, a few other off-page measures that support search engine optimization directly or indirectly.
- Before you actively link building operates, you should first stand the analysis. How many backlinks does my site have, where does it come from, and what is the quality of the links?
- This can be done by hand, or you can use a professional tool such as Semrush.
- Based on the analysis, you can then decide which direct or indirect link building measures are necessary.
One should have the backlink structure in mind at the beginning and during link building. To a natural backlink structure later more.
- Before I come to the measures for backlinks, I would like to address the subject of content, that is content.
- Excellent and attractive content is, in my experience, the best prerequisite for link building.
- Especially blogs, it is therefore quite easy to collect many backlinks.
- Other website types, such as company websites or affiliate sites, have a harder time.
Wherever possible, you should publish great content that the readers themselves recommend and link to.
As already mentioned, backlinks are the most important off-page SEO factor. Here are some essential tips:
- The anchor text of the backlinks should vary and not always contain the same. However, it is important to ensure that the important keywords appear again and again in the anchor texts. This can be achieved by including the keywords in the title and the headline of the page in question. Because many bloggers, etc. link with the page title or the headline as anchor text. (by the way, most social websites do that too)
- Backlinks with the domain as anchor text are not bad either. But you should ideally have the most important keywords in the domain.
- It should be collected in addition to backlinks to your own homepage and deep links. So links to individual subpages/articles.
- You have to market your own articles on social websites and coactively. Only this way will many others become aware and link the articles.
- It should be easy to link articles. This means, for example, the incorporation of social media buttons.
If you pay attention to a few things, then you can quickly provide good backlinks. If, for example, a relevant page sets a backlink without a keyword in the anchor text, then you can ask helpful questions as to whether this can be changed.
Google automatically checks the backlink structure of websites. Therefore, it is essential to maintain a logical structure, especially with active backlink construction. The link building should be as natural as possible and, above all, look like that. In other words, do not collect too many links at once in the OffPage optimization, paying attention to a healthy mix of links from particularly “good” sites (such as from a university) and smaller, less-known sites.
- The temporal factor also plays a role. The backlinks should gradually emerge. Please do not sit down once a month and generate 50 backlinks in one day. That also stands out.
- Overall, follow-up links will certainly add more than nofollow links. However, Google becomes skeptical if there are only follow-up links. Nofollow are part of a healthy backlink structure.
If you are actively building links, you should pay attention to these things. Google recognizes quite well if one ignores these recommendations and operates an unnatural Backlinkaufbau.
- There are a very large number of backlink sources. The more different sources you use, the more natural it looks.
- But everyone has to decide for themselves which sources he uses.
- But again, very good and / or attractive content is helpful. Because this usually gives you backlinks from different sources. Link baits, for example, also play an essential role in this context.
Especially for new blogs and websites, you should use the possibilities of free backlinks from different sources. This speeds up the entry into the Google ranking.
- The direct backlink generation is especially necessary where hardly anyone links themselves. This is often the case in the affiliate area.
- Indirect backlink generation is my primary way of building backlinks. By writing high quality and useful articles, I almost alone care for many backlinks. While you have less control over the backlinks, but a natural structure results in itself.
- But even bloggers can and should start using active link building methods.
I do not care so much about active link building. I prefer the indirect way. However, it depends on your situation, which method works better or is possible.
- Link exchange is also quite popular. The problem with this is that too often simply links to each other. Google notes this and invalidates such links in the ranking calculation.
- Also, one should not exaggerate the link exchange, as well as the link purchase, and use only as a measure among many.
As complementary measures, these methods can be helpful. But you should not just bet on it.
- Often it is worth optimizing certain articles or specific keywords.
- Otherwise, I put a lot on the Longtail. These are search terms that are rarely searched, but there are many of these long-tail keywords. It’s much easier to get upfront because these keywords are not so competitive. And in sum, they bring a lot of traffic.
- Its key rankings should be kept in mind with SEO tools like Semrush.
For blogs, the optimization of individual rankings is rather less significant. At affiliate sites, etc. but this can make the difference.
- The newest toy of SEOs is the Social Web. But this is more about commitment and not about the simple setting of backlinks.
- I use Twitter quite intensively. In addition to exciting and useful tweets of other users, which I retweeted, I make my followers from time to time aware of new own articles. This works very well. I guess 70% I retweeted other tweets, and 30% tweeted my own articles.
- It’s even more about communication on Facebook and Instagram. Again, you should show commitment, and 90% of his time recommend other interesting links and content and communicate with others. 10% of the time, you can then push your own articles.
- But you should not use the social web to distribute your own content exclusively. This will not work.
The Social Web offers some potential for off-page search engine optimization. However, one should really participate here and not try only “offload” its own content.
- Networking with other bloggers and website operators is also very important. It’s not about begging for backlinks in the first conversation. Instead, you should build contacts and so make a name in the scene.
- Giving is more important than taking. Also, link to other bloggers and push their content without immediately asking for a similar favor back. Anyone who gives of himself without ulterior motives, who will later get back unasked again.
- Comments in other blogs without having to include a URL can also build contacts.
Contacts are very important on the web. Who knows others and maintains good contacts, for that will pay off, for example, through backlinks again and again.
Conclusion Offpage SEO
On the one hand, it’s almost all about backlinks, and there are certainly a lot of methods to actively build them.
On the other hand, at least in my blog, I prefer the passive method and provide good content for backlinks.
But of course, there are cases where you have to help manually to rank well, and then you should definitely follow the tips given above.